Skip to content ↓

Useful 'what should I do' information



What should I do if my child cannot come to school?

Ring the school number, press option 1 and leave a message. Remember to leave the child’s name, class and reason for absence. A member of the Office Staff may phone each day during the absence. 

Should a child be absent without a note or phone call, our office staff will ring to check what has happened. Year Six parents will always be phoned first, just in case the child was making their own way to school and has set off but not turned up. 

What should I do if I am going to be late collecting my child from school?

Communicate and keep us updated! Everyone has the occasional nightmare day and, on these one off occasions, we will make every effort to help as long as you keep us updated.

As soon as you know you will be late, make every effort to find an alternative adult to collect the child, then phone to let us know. phone the school  and let us know the details. If it is not possible to find an alternative adult, keep us informed of your progress, particularly if there any further delays.

Our policy document 'Procedures for Children Not Collected from School at the End of the Day' is available in the policies section of this website. We do charge  £5 per 15 minutes of childcare after school. The charging period starts at 3.45. We never charge for the first instance because everyone can have a bad day! 

What if my child becomes ill during the day?

Our staff will phone through the numbers on your contact details until they get an answer. Somebody will need to come and collect them as soon as possible. There are certain illnesses that require a child to be absent for a specified number of days. For example, diarrhoea and/or vomiting. 

How do I know how long my child should be excluded from school because of a medical condition?

Children with diarrhoea and/or vomiting should definitely be kept off school until at least 48 hours ( 2 full days)  after their symptoms have gone. Most cases of diarrhoea and vomiting in children get better without treatment, but if symptoms persist, consult your GP.

Please check the link below for the official advice on many different childhood illnesses.   

What should I do if I suspect my child is feigning illness to stay at home?

Ask yourself:

Is there anything at home that has changed? Sometimes children worry that if they are not at home, then something bad might happen.

Is there a sibling/parent/granny staying at home? Sometimes children want to stay at home just because a day cuddled up with granny is a great day!

Is there an event at school that your child might be avoiding? Spelling test? Homework collection? A friendship break-up? Unresolved issue from the previous day?

 If you can’t find an obvious reason, the best thing to do is to send him/her to school. If they do become unwell, staff will call you.

What should I do if my child has medication to take during the school day?

Our staff can only administer medication prescribed by a medical professional.  Antibiotics administered 3 times a day can usually be taken outside of school hours – four times a day might mean medicine is needed during the day. Please fill in a Medication at School form. You can find it below, and also on the letters page. 

What if my child has a chronic medical condition?

From starting school until Year Four, children’s reliever inhalers are held by Martina our medical officer. If a child needs to use it, they will use it under supervision and usage and effect will be monitored.

By Year Five, children should be learning to manage their own medication. Martina will ask you for a spare inhaler in case of emergencies but children will be expected to look after their own inhaler by keeping it in a pocket or bag and bring it to Martina when they wish to use it. When Martina is sure that they can use it responsibly, they will be allowed to use it without adult supervision but they must record date and time in the medical room log.

Our staff our committed to supporting all aspects of a child's education and when it is possible, we will do whatever we can to ensure that children with chronic conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, sickle cell) are enabled to be at school for the maximum length of time. Parents of children with chronic conditions need to work with our Medical Officer and the schools' nurse to prepare a comprehensive care plan.

What should I do if my child forgets a reading book, lunch, kit or a piece of homework?

First of all, don’t be tempted to say ‘It’s all my fault!’ and then make up an unlikely story. Making mistakes is part of learning; seeing the consequences of actions or inaction is also part of learning. Contrary to popular belief, we do not eat children for forgetting things but we do want to help them to learn self-help strategies.

If the forgotten item is urgent for that day, bring it to the school office and leave it in the 'Forgotten Box' under the desk so that your child can collect it at break time

What if I have to collect my child during the school day?

Routine doctor and dentist visits should be scheduled for after school or in the holidays. In the case of unavoidable appointments, please send a note ahead of time so that office staff will be expecting your arrival. Buzz at the gate and your child will be called down to meet you.

What if we have a time of family crisis: a beloved pet dies, we have a bereavement, my partner and I split up or any other traumatic event?

During any time of family crisis or upset, the best place for children is to be at school in their normal routine. Children and adults grieve/react differently. At times when adults need space, children tend to need normality and the company of their peers Sometimes parents are concerned that their child might become emotional whilst at school. This is not a problem. Our staff are very caring and know how to comfort children, when to distract them and when to let them talk.

What do I do if I want to take my child out of school during term time?

First of all, follow consider whether or not there is any alternative to taking your child out of school.  If it is absolutely unavoidable, please apply at the office for an ‘Application for Leave of Absence in Exceptional Circumstances’  form.

As a school, we are not allowed to authorise holidays during term time. Other than for holidays, applications will be considered on a case by case basis.

Authorised absence is defined as follows :-

1. When a child is prevented from attending by sickness (see above)

2. Religious observance as defined by the religious body to which a child belongs.

3. Situations where a school would reasonably exercise discretion to grant leave, e.g. death of a close member of a child's family.

Absences that do not fall into the above categories are deemed unauthorised and these absences are closely monitored. Should unauthorised absences be recorded we will, in the first instance, try to talk to you about this, however, a referral may be made to the Education Welfare Service.


What if my child comes into school with my car keys, wedding ring, phone, cat etc.?

Please contact the school office. Never go directly into the school building or classrooms.